Thursday, December 1, 2011

Praying Requests...Or Answers?

Word for the Day:
" Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your understanding; acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will make your path straight. " Proverbs 3:5&6

Praying he DOESN'T make the team?
A couple of years ago, my then 13 year old son asked me one of those questions that made me smile.
"How do you "hear" from God, Mom? How do you know it's Him?"
It turned out, Keillor was struggling with a sports decision: should he stick with soccer or try a different sport?
I was so pleased to see his little spiritual wheels turning. What a good sign to me that Keillor was launching his own "walk", seeking the wisdom and counsel of the Lord.
Today, I find myself in a similar situation. Once again, it's Keillor. And once again, it's a sports decision. Now a Freshman at St.Peter's Prep in Jersey City, Kei is trying out for the very good and very competitive basketball team. I caught myself praying that he makes the team, but something stopped me in my tracks: what if he's not meant to be on the team? what if God has different things for him?
My son, the 5th of the six kids, is a hard worker, a striver. After the disappointment of not making the soccer team earlier this Fall, he formed and captained a team for an intramural sport, Androball (don't ask me!). I watched as he came home late every day, exhausted but excited, learning leadership and organizational skills as he chose the team, planned the game schedule, motivated his teammates and even designed and ordered Tee Shirts! Lo and behold, his team, Harry Potter and the Golden Snitches (?!) won the freshman championship! AND he closed out the first marking period of his high school career with First Honors, a feat he might not have been able to achieve while dedicated to a team.
So I find myself in a quandary: do I pray he makes the team? Or do I pray he doesn't?
Thankfully, I don't have to make that decision. Because God already made it. He knows what Keillor should do. My job is simply to pray for His will to be revealed in my son's life.That Kei would stay on the path he's on with His Lord, and continue to seek Him and do His will are the prayers I can, I will pray today.
And if he makes the basketball team, great!
But if he doesn't, that's okay, too.

Thought for the Day:
Can you think of a time or a situation where you "caught" yourself praying answers, not requests? How did God manifest His will in that circumstance?

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Finally, a new blog!It's an important reminder for all of us, those with children or not. Let us know what God decides! Love, phyl

Our Stories God's Glory said...

Amen! Our prayers are powerful...and God is more powerful. Thankfully, He can override our prayers. We really don't always know what's best. But He does. And that's just what He wants for Keillor. So God, we pray for your good and perfect will for Keillor today. In Jesus' name!