Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Nana's legacy...

I can't let this day pass without honoring my beloved Mother in law, Val Beckwith. Val, (Nana, Mom) died peacefully this past Saturday, November 13, 2010 in Greenville, South Carolina at the very ripe old age of 90. Her son, my husband, Brian and his 3 brothers, miraculously, were able to be with her on her last day on this earth. It seems obvious to us that Nana waited to "say" goodbye without words to the sons she was so proud of and loved so very much.
Nana left a legacy of love. She- and her amazing husband, Art, whom she joins in Heaven, were two of the most sacrificial, loving people I have ever met. I was privileged to be loved by them as their daughter in law. My children were privileged to be adored as their grandchildren and to see what Christ-like love looks like in a marriage.
I will be forever thankful that God provided love through Val that I had not received from my own Mother for Val loved her daughters in law as though we were her own daughters.
I will never forget how she lavished gifts on me and my family for birthdays and Christmas- God only knows where she got the money!
My children will never forget the huge boxes that would arrive from Nana the week before Christmas, filled to the brim with all the stuff my kids always begged for but never got at the local Amazing Savings! Or the way she made sure to have all our favorite foods in when we visited. Or how she looked up adoringly at Gramps whenever we took pictures of them.
We will never forget her sweet voice ( "can you get your Mother, honey?", solicitors would ask when she answered the phone!), her warm hugs, the time and care she always had for all of us, the unhurried and simple way she lived...and loved.
Nana, we will miss you!

2 comments:

Amelia said...

This is so great. It really helps us remember Nana for all the wonderful traits she had! She'll surely be missed.

Rise and Meet the Day said...

Beautiful, Mom. I hope you read that at the Memorial. What a great snapshot of who Nana was and the memories we all have of her.